Join us, be part of our campaign
Stop the slaughter of our Victorian kangaroos
Animals Australia have made it easy to lobby the government for a ban
We are a grassroots organisation and strive to bring together like-minded people in community groups and help them tackle kangaroo issues in their region.
We currently have the following groups:
We also work collaboratively with the dedicated teams from Save Kangaroos on the Mornington Peninsula and Gariwerd Animal Biodiversity Alliance (GABA) Dunkeld.
We encourage you to join the group/s in your area and keep us informed of any concerns. Please contact us if you are interested in forming a sub-group within these regions.
If you are interested in small-scale direct action (usually outreach in the CBD) and distributing material please also join our Direct Action Team.
1. Learn about the issues so you can be an advocate for change in your community.
2. Boycott all kangaroo products and encourage your friends and family to do the same. You can sign on to the Animals Australia boycott pledge and view companies complicit in the kangaroo trade here.
3. Sign on to other petitions calling for a federal ban on commercial kangaroo slaughter and a ban on EU imports of kangaroo products.
4. The state government controls kangaroo killing and their plans are authorised by the federal Environment Minister. Please contact the responsible ministers to say you object to the continual persecution and exploitation of kangaroos. Expect a cookie cutter response filled with spin, but community pressure is making a difference!
Minister for Agriculture, Gayle Tierney
(03) 8660 7100
Minister for Environment, Ingrid Stitt
(03) 9363 1644
Premier Daniel Andrews
(03) 9651 5000
Federal Environment Minister Tanya Plibersek
(02) 6277 7920
It is also worth contacting your local upper and lower house MPs. You can use the documents on the resources page to inform your email. The 'VKA Kangaroo Issues in Brief' and 'VKA Vic Kangaroos Overview - GRAPHIC' are helpful documents that can be downloaded and sent to your representatives.
5. Write to supermarkets and retailers in your area. Again please feel free to use documents from the resources page.
6. Raise awareness in your community. We have flyers on the resources page for distribution in letterboxes or at local cafes, libraries or stores. You can print the flyers directly or contact us to arrange bulk printing. We also have bumper stickers!
7. Send a letter to the editor of your local paper or one of the majors. Politicians read these to gauge public opinion so it is a great opportunity to keep the plight of kangaroos in the spotlight. Check out these great tips on writing letters from the Australian Conservation Foundation. You could also contact current affairs outlets to tell them you want them to cover the kangaroo crisis. If enough people show an interest we are more likely to get coverage.
8. Contact your local wildlife shelter or rescue service and see if you can assist their work. They may need volunteers, or help with procuring supplies or fundraising.
9. Join our mailing list to keep up to date with events and major issues. Please sign up below to be added to the list.
10. Donate via the PayPal link below. We depend on donations to continue our work, so any support is very gratefully received!I
Keep up to date with events and major issues
Your support will help us keep fighting for kangaroos to be protected and respected in Victoria.
Any contribution is greatly appreciated!